Sunday, June 26, 2011

Egg Ink Book

After an evening of dyeing Ukrainian Easter Eggs with my family, I was attracted to the napkins used to soak and wipe off the extra dye. I found that these napkins were as interesting as the eggs themselves. While photographing the finished eggs I also began to focus on these seductive napkins realizing they each had equal value and beauty...even though they played different roles. The colors, folds and emerging patterns were mesmerizing. Suddenly, after taking a closer look at the ink stains and wax deposits, I began to uncloak imaginative forms. These images appeared haunting and vibrantly alive and I began seeing things stare back at me. Here, I’ve included several photos of my favorite ink and wax stained napkins. I wonder if you can see what I see in these pictures?

14. Young Lady~Napkin Art


15. Running Man~Napkin

Once images have been captured, I often computerize the colors, blur, highlight or clarify, searching for what many times lays hidden deep beneath the obvious. When an image calls for a chance to speak up, I’ve learned to listen; knowing something is lying in wait. Admittedly, I too am surprised when it appears. Now I just know enough to go looking for it.


16. Tony the Tiger~Napkin Art



17. Kendall’s Ukrainian Egg on Napkin


18. Green Chicken

“Your book[1] brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful, and it is in my knowing your

challenges to relax into just making, without worry, without intellectualisms to

give it ‘legitimacy’, but just trusting its own beauty. This trust you now know from

making this beautiful book, is proof of your redirection of energy toward positive

and celebratory energy that resonates appropriately to your life situations facing you.

Well done!”[2]


[1] Egg Ink Book, Watt, D., (2008), This book has been recorded on DVD and is located at the end of this Portfolio.

[2] G2, Packet #2 Response Paper, Laiwan, L. (2008), Goddard College MFA-IA Program, Port Townsend, WA.

No comments:

Post a Comment