Sunday, June 26, 2011

~ Remarkable Influences ~ Jay Clayton & Jerry Granelli

Even with successful performances under ones belt the uneasiness of approaching a situation with out any plan is very intimidating. Jay Clayton (a historical vocal jazz phenomenon, compared to Urszula Dudziak in vocal acuity), was my first aural taste of Free Jazz (or New Music, as some call it). Jay helped open me up to experimenting with my own soundscape for the very first time. Below is an interview I penned while attending a master class that she taught along with her drummer, Jerry Granelli. The topic being addressed was: Free Jazz; Coping with fear.

Jay: “Jeanne Lee...she was one of the first sound poets because she used poetry in her solo. She had so much courage. I would just pick up a tambourine and would like shake it, at first. We’re talking about no plan and not even talking to each other...just do it. I know that’s where my roots came and gave me courage to do that. I got’a tell you I got afraid...so then (you think) don’t sing...but you’re up there and can’t quit the gig. But, you have to have courage and then you go inside. It’s just like the standards; you go, wait a minute...this is not about me! You just have to feel something and just trust yourself. Really, you just go for it and you listen and you listen...always listening inside. Because where do ideas come from? We don’t know, we don’t know why we do it, that’s why we can’t ask too many questions. We just do it. The prepared part has to do with working on music and following music that you love and learning stuff. But when you’re out there, it’s trust and listening, feeling and listening.”

Jerry: “It’s just like in life. If you’re thinking up what to say to this person, you probably aren’t hearing what the person is saying at all...same thing is true with music. If I listen to the music and by listening to her (Jay), or not listening to her and just following my path...it crosses and we meld. But fear is something you really can’t...I think every great musician I know faces it, still.”

Jay: “I hate recording that...people are surprised, but it’s true.

Jerry: “It’s true.” (Said in unison)

69. Shadow Portrait #4

No comments:

Post a Comment