Sunday, June 26, 2011

Stories: Of Loneliness and Family

5. View #1

Open Window

I'm dying to open my window…but I can’t. You see, Esmeralda lives in the crook of the outside window casing. Every time I move the window up...just a bit, her tiny leg stretches outward as if to remind me of her presence. She’s named after a tough little six-year-old that I once worked with. Born with an extreme visual impairment, this tiny child kept up with her mates and did so with utter joy.

Sitting here now, my nose begins to run...the results of a dinner of hot curried rice. I begin to sense the warmth from a surprisingly sunny day; the sun’s own hot legs stretching - towards my window casing. I wish I could fling it open, but of course, I cannot.

Behind me, Michael once again realizes I won’t be taking him out for a walk and decides to play by himself…cheek stuffed with his favorite yellow ball. Though I just finished mopping, his play stirs up a new waft of dog hair…but he’s happy and for now, I don’t have to feel guilty for staying inside. Mind you, it’s not that I don’t want to go out, I just can’t make myself…yet. I suppose that’s why I want to open the windows; it’s the lazy way to take a walk…same air…just no need to move.

Before Esmeralda, Charlotte lived in the crook of my bedroom window. She was a full-bodied female with a large backside and strong legs. Her beautiful web stretched across my entire bedroom windowpane. I loved to watch her. As fall came Charlotte did her best to keep her web clean and complete but on occasion was overcome by sweet decorations such as pine seeds, feathers or a beautifully perched leaf. From my side of the window, these decorative features looked to be floating in air, staying until she either freed them or they tore away, leaving her with another full day’s work. Sadly for Esmeralda and Charlotte, I have the far better view as I look out over my backyard garden. I wonder if they’re as enamored by my house keeping as I am theirs? Charlotte lost her web during the blustery winter months and then she too disappeared. I missed her when she left.

Ezzie and Lottie weren’t the only squatters I’ve had in this window. Two years ago I had my first occupant...and what a beauty she was. Not as large as Lottie but strong, artistic and reliable. She helped me through some very lonely months and I cried when she left after a wonderful three-seasons together; Noel was her name.

Though I appreciated Noel’s care for me, my favorite spider has to be Carlos. While clearing a table last spring, which is pushed up against a large and long dining room window, my eyes caught sight of something moving above my head. A small spider had made its home between a tree-like houseplant and the window frame. I was surprised and not sure if I wanted one of these creatures in the house but he grew on me…and grew and grew! Carlos was a character and faithful like Noel.

6. Lily the Spider

Last summer, I decided it was time to buy a digital camera. To see if I wanted to keep this expensive piece of equipment I set the focus on Carlos’ web. Shoot as I might, I couldn’t get the web in focus, so I returned the camera. My daughter was amazed that I would buy a camera on the condition that I could shoot a great web photo. I guess I thought that if the camera couldn’t capture the smallest part of my life then I wasn’t interested in keeping it.

The longer that Carlos lived with us I began to worry that there wouldn’t be enough for him to catch and eat. Being a vegetarian my kitchen has an extraordinary amount of fruit flies every summer. This gave me a great idea that led to a Saturday morning ritual. After I made myself a cup of tea I would begin setting little traps for these fruit flies, such as putting pieces of cantaloupe on the towel by the sink. As the fruit flies sunk their teeth into the cantaloupe I would gently swat them with a fly swatter. Feeling guilty about encroaching on Carlos’ independence and spiderly instincts I would try to only knock the fruit flies silly, so when they woke up in Carlos’ web he could feel them move and think that he was the one doing all the hunting.

By October I felt it was time for Carlos to go outside. I was becoming concerned that he would wander the house looking for food and I’d lose him; crushing him. One morning I scooped him up in a glass cup and took him to the front porch, gently dropping him over the side. For days I wondered if he was ok as I looked at the empty spot above the dining room table...between the spindly tree-like plant...and the window casing.

A little spider outside the office window was my only relief from my concern. Tiny, and not long lasting, she kept me company till the weather was too much for her.

I’m dying to open my windows, but I just can’t. All my windows stay closed and all my friends seem to leave too soon. It looks like I’ll have to give up on my window walks. Maybe tomorrow Michael and I will go outside. But probably not...not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment