Saturday, June 25, 2011

Introduction & Key Words

Introduction

Otherwise stated, “A (John) Cage of my Own”; this collection of writings and research demonstrate my journey towards new awareness and knowledge of both self and craft.

Cage lived a Zen-fully quirky, non-conformist, inventive, intuitive and inquisitively artful life; not cowering when misunderstood. He kept on, with conviction, insisting he, “had nothing to say...and that he was saying it.”[1] I admire the creative independence that drove Cage to make fascinating connections through his experimental processes. Improvisation, as a form, is to me what indeterminacy was to John. My own fascinating experimental process.

Within these pages, I’d like to invite you to explore this process. Like Cage, I’ve found that life opens to me when I’m willing to take chances in both art...and life.

2. Self Portrait #1


Key Words

Art, Creativity, Music, Feminism, Freedom, Improvisation, Performance Art, Macro Photography, Philosophy, Poetics, Spiritualism, Spontaneous Composition, Story Telling


Special Note

All of the pictures presented within this portfolio have all been photographed by Debby (unless otherwise noted).



[1] John Cage, "I have nothing to say and I'm saying it.", by American Masters Video, (1990).

No comments:

Post a Comment